Please Note: Orders placed between November 23 and December 28 may take 2 to 5 business days to process.

Storing Chocolate

Storing Conditions:

The ideal temperature for storing your chocolate and confectionery products is 63–68 degrees F. The products will be more tolerant of temperatures below 65 degrees F, than of temperatures above 70 degrees F. Relative humidity should be maintained at 50% or lower. Higher relative humidities cause products to absorb moisture, which increases viscosity and reduces product shelf life. This is especially true of confectionery and pastel products.

It is also important that you store your product four inches off the floor and at least four inches away from any walls. This allows proper circulation of air around the chocolate products. It is also crucial that you avoid storing your products near materials with strong odors. Chocolate absorbs any nearby odor, thus altering the flavor of the product.

With proper storage, you can expect a shelf life of nine months to one year for pastel products, one year for milk chocolates and cocoa confectionery products, and one year to 18 months for dark chocolate.

Problems and Corrections:

During Storage, the Chocolate Develops a Dull Grey Bloom

This is known as a “sugar bloom,” which is a hard white surface film resulting from damp storage conditions or changes in temperature causing condensation on the surface. The moisture melts the sugar in the chocolate, which then crystallizes, causing the grey dusty effect on the surface. Make sure the storage area is at a constant cool temperature with no dampness and good ventilation.

White Marks Appear On Demolded Items

The molds were not dried properly. Water can become trapped in molds with heavy patterns. Make sure they are completely dry before filling.

Cracked Articles

If molded items are placed in a refrigerator that is too cold, the chocolate contracts too fast and they will crack.

Molded Items Are Dull When Removed From Mold

The molds were greasy and not polished well, or items were left in refrigerator too long.